The Great Black Swamp is a desolate area located along the southern border of Michigan.
It is a caustic, contagious swampland drenched with toxic waters. Even the air in the swamp is said to be very toxic. If the player's character stays around the area too long, he risks suffering from Defoliant Exposure.
Exposure can be avoided by using a gas mask (equipped with filters). Covering the player's face with a rag can also help, but is unreliable. There is good loot to be found in the swamp, so it is not a bad idea to scavenge there, once the player acquires the necessary equipment.
Not much is known about the swamp other than it was rained on with chemical wash after genetically enhanced crops were multiplying out of control.
Possible loot Edit
(this list requires expansion)
- It is possible to find here a crashed helicopter, containing a very large amount of either canned soup or bottled water. Players can survive on this encounter's resources for a very long time. There's also a chance this encounter will simply contain 4 random condition boxes, and 39 AA Batteries, all charged. This encounter isn't very useful, and even selling all the batteries will only get around $120.
- It is also possible to find a storage unit containing a very large amount of tools such as the crowbar, monkey wrench, meat cleaver and multi tool as well as some boxes.
- The Swamp is also a good place to find Caster Wheels.
- The Swamp regularly has loot akin to looting Storage Sheds, with rarer gear like NVGs, Canvas Packs, and uncommon/Legendary gear mixed throughout.
- It is possible to find a large amount of non-prescription pain killers.