- "Skill at manipulating computers"
The Hacking skill allows the player to easily manipulate computers. It permits the cracking of locked electronic devices, giving access to any Data Files those might contain.
Ability Points cost: 2
Here is a simple guide on how to unlock electronic devices. All devices to be unlocked must have a battery with at least one electric charge inside it
To unlock a Laptop, player needs to:
- Possess Hacking skill
- Open the laptop if it's closed (Using right-click menu option "Open")
- Turn it on (Using right-click menu option "On")
- Enter the hacking encounter (Using right-click menu option "Use")
- Choose the option to Unlock the Laptop during the encounter
Other Electronic devicesEdit
- Possess Hacking skill;
- Have an unlocked and powered-on Laptop
- Have the proper Cracking Software placed inside the Laptop (hold laptop in hand to transfer software)
- iSl-AK for iSlabs
- 5MR-7 for Smartphones
- Br1nG for Cellphones
- Turn on the locked device (by the right-click menu option "On")
- Enter the hacking encounter (by the right-click menu option "Use" on the Laptop)
- Choose the correct cracking software to use.
- Choose the locked device.
- Choose the option to unlock the device
During certain encounters involving high-tech equipment, a character with knowledge of Hacking might find easier and faster access to computer terminals or gain insight into the workings of electronic devices. The skill can be used during following encounters:
- at Camp Grayling, when using the Blackwhite the player can lower the progress bar by 20%, giving himself one extra search inquiry.
- at the start of the game, inside the Cryo Facility, to lock the door in front of the incoming creature
- during the "Zom Zom's" arena fight, to find and exploit the robot's weakness
- at the Isotope Mine, to fix the Gertrude's programing
- at the Detroit Savings Bank, to hack the data terminal
- at the Detroit Savings Bank, to find a security hover bike's blind spot
- While its use is mostly limited to non-combat actions, Hacking can potentially be very profitable. Occasionally, the player can randomly stumble upon devices (sold at the market, or scavenged) containing datafiles worth from several hundred to several thousand dollars. In addition, reading the data files can uncover some interesting and amusing bits of information, adding flavor to the game.