|This item, location or encounter is not available in the demo version of the game|
A greenwood bow is a survivalist's version of one of the oldest ranged weapons in the world. Made from freshly cut saplings strung with simple string, it owns its drawing power to the freshness of the material used. That means, while quick and easy to make, greenwood bow it is not meant to last and will degrade quickly, both with usage (1% condition per use) and time (0.8% condition per turn).
Thanks to their length, these bows can easily be worn over the shoulder without needing to attach any additional straps. Arrows of any type can be shot from a greenwood bow. Total damage potential is slightly better for broadhead arrows than piercing arrows, but roughly equal for professional broadhead arrows versus their crude cousins. All kinds of arrows can cause severe bleeding wounds and minor bruising.
- This weapon is easily crafted early in the game if you have the Ranged skill and offers some advantages over the sling such as greater range and ammo capacity (when compared to large stones). Its ammo type is much lighter than large stones but require time and resources to craft.
- Arrows are not nearly as common as ammo for the sling, limiting the effectiveness of bows early on. As the game progresses the components needed to manufacture crude arrows become common allowing a player with the ranged skill to create large amounts of arrows with ease.
- Greenwood bows should be replaced with a compound bow once it becomes possible to do so. Compound bows have better maximum range and offer significant advantages in ease of storage when not in use.
- Bows and slings are more cost effective than firearms and can be used more frequently as their ammunition is much more common. They are an excellent choice against low level enemies like melonheads and looters and can even be used to take out raiders and bandits.
- One useful tactic is to use these on approaching or fleeing melee enemies to force them to take cover and therefore move slower. If they take cover you'll be able to charge at them and gain ground. If they don't take cover you're free to pelt them with arrows, charging forward occasionally to keep them within range. Should you manage to get close enough, a melee weapon can be used to finish them off. The same principles can be applied to a melee enemy that is approaching you to soften it up for the kill or weaken it enough to make good your escape.
- Greenwood bows can be a great source of income when made close to the Junk Market, making about 40$ a piece. If the Junk Market runs out of space to hold them however, wait until the next day for it to clear up again.
- Before version 0.974, the bug in the recipe for the greenwood bow instead resulted in crafting a Compound Bow.
| Bow: Greenwood (R*) |
(* Ranged skill and sharp edge not needed for disassembly)