|This item, location or encounter is not available in the demo version of the game|
A compound bow is a rare type of ranged weapon. Its structure consists of a metal framing with reels on both ends and multiple bowstrings. Its flexible, modern design allows easier handling while shooting as well as provide it with a very compact size compared to the more traditional bows. A compound bow in decent condition will last longer than most scavengers, as they degrade a mere 0.1% per use.
Compound bows can be found through scavenging or at the market, but they are somewhat rare. Arrows of any type can be shot from a compound bow. Total damage potential is slightly better for broadhead arrows than piercing arrows, but roughly equal for professional broadhead arrows versus their crude cousins. All kinds of arrows can cause severe bleeding wounds and minor bruising.
- Arrows are not nearly as common as ammo for the sling, limiting the effectiveness of bows early on. As the game progresses the components needed to manufacture crude arrows become common allowing a player with the ranged skill to create large amounts of arrows with ease.
- Greenwood bows should be replaced with a compound bow once it becomes possible to do so. Compound bows have better maximum range and offer signifigant advantages in ease of storage when not in use. It can be outfitted with a strap allowing it to be worn over the shoulder and, unlike the greenwood bow, it can fit into a backpack allowing the player to swap it out with ease, even midbattle.
- Bows and slings are more cost effective than firearms and can be used more frequently as their ammunition is much more common. They are an excellent choice against low level enemies like melonheads and looters and can even be used to take out bad muthas and blue frogs.
- One useful tactic is to use these on approaching or fleeing melee enemies to force them to take cover and therefore move slower. If they take cover you'll be able to charge at them and gain ground. If they don't take cover you're free to pelt them with arrows, charging forward occasionally to keep them within range. Should you manage to get close enough, a melee weapon can be used to finish them off. The same principles can be applied to a melee enemy that is approaching you to soften it up for the kill or weaken it enough to make good your escape.
- When introduced in version 0.973b, there was a bug that made it possible to "craft" the compound bows.
- It has the longest range of any weapon that fits into a backpack.
|Bow: Compound w/Strap (R)||0.01||
Properties and recipe usesEdit
- Compound Bow:
- Bow: Compound w/Strap (1, R)
- Ranged skill